There’s a very substantial update coming to Boom Beach later today (at some time after 09.00 UTC) and it includes a bunch of features. One of the biggest changes is an overhaul of the Boom Beach Events calendar. The days of two 20-stage Dr. Terror events per week are now behind us and have been replaced with a daily cycle of 6 events. There are four 7-stage Dr. Terror events and two new events (details below!)
One of the most exciting additions via the new update is a new Gunboat ability called Critters. This will unlock at HQ Level 19 and allow players to unleash a small army of attack robots deep into your enemy’s territory. How cool is that?
As mentioned above, Critters are robots that you launch from your Gunboat. They shoot out in a box, with the number of critters dependent on the level of your Critter Gunboat ability. For example, when starting out with Level 1 Critters, you get 6 attackers per box, and that number increases by 1 for each level.
Critters can be launched into any part of an enemy base and will attack the nearest thing they see.
Of course, that’s not all we’ll get in this update to Boom Beach. A new villain is introduced: the mysterious Colonel Gearheart. Your objective will be to destroy her War Factories and you’ll have the chance to collect prototype modules that can be used to assemble new prototype defensive structures.
Hammerman Attacks You
Another item of high interest…Lt. Hammerman will attack you. This recurring event will unlock when you’ve accomplished two things. First, you need to defeat Hammerman’s Level 45 base. Second, you’ll need to construct a Weapons Lab, which is a new building for creating prototype defenses from modules (more on that later). Details on this last part are still sketchy, but presumably it has something to do with the Colonel Gearheart events.
When the Hammerman event begins, his gunboat will appear next to your island base for 21 hours. You can click on his gunboat to initiate the attack and then you’ll have three tries to defend your base from his onslaught. Lt. Hammerman will send three waves of eight landing craft to attack your base, and your goal is to survive.
The difficulty of his attacks scale with your victory point score. The rewards for successfully defending your island appear to be prototype modules.
Wow, he must be pretty pissed to send this much force at you. I guess he didn’t like how you destroyed all his island bases.
Prototype Defenses are new defensive structures that you assemble in your Weapons Lab from parts (also known as prototype modules). These modules include: Critical Fuse, Complex Gear, Power Rod, and the Field Capacitor.
Prototype Defenses are temporary defenses that you can place on your island base, and include things like the Shock Blaster, Damage Amplifier, Doom Cannon and Lazor Beam. There are different levels of each defense available, each with more power and a higher cost in terms of modules to construct them.
Read on for the full update notes (below) or check out some of the sneak peek videos and commentary provided by Boom Beach YouTubers…
Here’s a sneak peek at Critters, courtesy of Reversal on YouTube.
And take a look at this analysis of the Hammerman event, from BenTimm1:
And here’s a look at the complex world of the new Prototype Defenses from Nickatnyte of Teach Boom Beach.
Update Notes from SuperCell
- A new enemy approaches: Colonel Gearheart! Tear down her War Factories in the hunt for prototype modules
- Hammerman attacks YOU…
- Events are now daily!
- Daily events start at 6am and end at 3am the following day (21h duration)
- Prototype Weapons Lab (unlocks at HQ 15)
- Assemble experimental and unstable prototype defenses
- Distract and destroy with a new Gunboat ability: Critters (unlocks at HQ 19)
- Two new super-challenging operations
- Sea and land turtles
- One-time only player name change (Settings > Accounts > Change Name)
- Watch your attack replays from the revamped Activity Log
- Retreat confirmation
- Re-arrange your base more easily by swapping building positions
- Drag and drop Landing Crafts to switch their order
- Check out your Task Force’s operation stats
- Leave a friendly note when kicking someone from your Task Force
- Even better AI pathfinding
- Arabic language support
- Lots of new graphics
- Tons of bug fixes
- Ice Statue boost duration reduced to 8h from 10h
- Flamethrower and Scorcher burn damage increases from +damage statues
- VP reward boat comes at 3am now, when the day’s event ends
- Reduced camera shake from the Grenadier’s explosions